Saturday, March 3, 2007

Dinner Out: The Final Frontier

Ok, here we are...staring down the barrel of my first really, REALLY big challenge: going out to dinner with friends. I have less than 8 hours until I will be sitting down in a real restaurant, with real bread, real butter, and real temptation all over the table. In my preparation, I got up early and worked out (UGH....), so I know I've burned up a few of the calories I have available to "play" with...you know what this is all about, by now, don't you? The coveted glass of wine.

I have to point out that I'm really not a HUGE drinker...sure, I enjoy fine wines and spirits as much as the next guy, but it's not like I've ever been a daily drinker. However, now that I'm committed to something that doesn't really include alcoholic calories at all (did you know ONE glass of wine - or one drink of any kind, for that matter - has 150 calories???? SCARY!), I'm actually missing the taste of my favorite Pinot Grigio! So tonight, I'm taking the 150 calories I have available to "play" with each week, and I'm going to apply it to a delicious, crisp, gorgeous glass of Pinto Grigio...and I'm totally ok with that!

What's going to be tough and tempting is the goodies that will be right in my face...I.E. the plates of buttery cheesy goodness that I'm sure my company will be enjoying. I talked to Christine (Jenny Craig consultant to the stars...and the rest of us...) yesterday about my concerns, and I'll tell ya, one 10-minute conversation with her made me feel completely in control. I know exactly what I can order, and I'm quite confident about my choices, because I'm so incredibly conscious of them! Before, going out to dinner wasn't always necessarily about enjoying the company and conversation and ambiance, but it was more about eating WHATEVER I wanted, and in GIGANTIC portions...after all, someone else was cooking it, someone else was bringing it to me, and someone else was doing the dishes! All this added up to me feeling ZERO responsibility for making healthy choices and believing no matter where I was dining out, or how often, I could throw caution to the wind, and dine like royalty. FAT royalty....

So, with a workout under my belt already, and still a meal and a snack or two away from my dinner, I'm going to try to keep a very positive attitude about this, and remember why I'm going out to dinner in the first place: to celebrate my friend's birthday, to enjoy conversation with people I don't see all that often, and to make healthy, CONSCIOUS decisions about what I'm going to be putting in my mouth...because after all this, I STILL have a goal of fitting into a bikini this summer without looking like a Christmas ham.

Wish me luck...I'll keep you posted! And I can't WAIT to tell you about the WINE!!! :)

Till next time,
~L

No comments: