Sunday, March 11, 2007

Comfort Food: Neither comfort, nor food....

Saturday morning I woke up with a BLARING sore throat...the kind that resides on one side of your throat, and every swallow brings lightning-like pain to not only that side of the throat, but also to every glad that is situated on that side of your body. I knew something was coming.

I had to work on the air from 6a to 9a, and by the end of my shift I was still feeling "off", but since I was up that early on a Saturday, and the gym was literally right around the corner, I forced myself to go. And after 30 minutes of sweating on the elliptical machine, it was nap time.

I came home and napped, sleeping better than I ever slept in my life...but then I woke up, and it was all over: I was sick. The sore throat pain had morphed into severe pain, and brought along some friends: stuffy nose and body aches. Immediately, 2 words came to mind: comfort food.

I realized, even in my sicky-haze, that bad/junk food has had a big place in every part of my life, even when it SHOULDN'T be there. When you're sick, you should probably focus on foods that are HEALTHY for you, and all I ever focused on was "junk" factor. I craved pizza, fries, burgers, and macaroni and cheese...but wait, I can have macaroni and cheese and still follow my Jenny Craig plan! A more clever plan has never been devised (at least in my illness-induced thought process at the time).

I immediately cooked the ooey gooey delicious JC macaroni and cheese and doused it in my favorite hot sauce: Frank's. The hot sauce cleared up my nose (for a bit), and the mac and cheese made me feel comforted and soothed, without having eaten 500 grams of fat and 39372 calories. I was gonna be ok....another crisis averted....

So it's back to the couch for me, where I've spent the majority of my weekend, nursing whatever this thing is. It's a shame that this happened to plague me when the weather was actually decent enough to take a nice long walk outside...hopefully we're out of the woods weather-wise and we can look forward to a streak of nicer weather...I'm about all set with the negative temperatures...

Next weigh-in is tomorrow...hope I can pull myself from the couch to make it! :)

Till next time,
~L

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm - Mac & Cheese with Franks Hot sauce. Now that's one I have not tried yet. I LOVE Franks hot sauce. Hope you are feeling better. Your doing great Laura

Lisa (aka MauiTiki)