Sunday, June 10, 2007

Swing, Steak, Lobster, and a Shower

What, pray tell, could I possibly be referring to in the title of this post? A challenging food week from hell!!! It was a tough one, and while I really did my best to adhere to "moderation", I'm not expecting miracles from this week's weigh-in....

Everything was going pretty well until Thursday...I had been doing my regular workout routine, and eating exactly what I was supposed to eat. I have prepared myself for these last 8 pounds to come off at a snail's pace, but I'm also feeling quite comfortable with my new body. These 2 things combine and make a perfect recipe for allowing myself to "slip" a bit on the food portion...

So Thursday, Ric and I had to do some live shots on Channel 6 from "Alive at 5", and had to be there around 4ish...much too early for dinner. But by 6, we were both starving, so we both got chicken Caesar wraps. Yes, I asked for just a LITTLE dressing, so at least I didn't get the 1/4 cup of dressing the woman was putting on everyone else's! I felt okay with that choice, but knew it probably wasn't as "nutritionally sound" as I would have been with my beloved Jenny food!

Then, we were going to check out the new nightclub in Saratoga, "Vapor", because we had given away tickets to Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (a really fun swing band!). Upon arriving, I had a drink and played some slots (that's a whole 'nother story...). Got into Vapor, and had another drink...just enough to start making me feel "good", but GUILTY! (Again, that whole "One drink equals 100 calories and 2 fats" kept going through my mind...) I came home and was actually pretty hungry, so I snacked on some pretzels (guilt guilt guilt) and went to bed.

Friday went off without a catch, and Saturday morning I went for a 2 mile run, even though I really didn't feel like it. Saturday afternoon, I was charged with hosting some events at Albany's Losterfest! You're taking a girl who's trying to stick to a healthy eating plan and putting her in close range of New York Strip steaks and drawn butter??? AND giving her FREE MEAL TICKETS??? Challenging. To say the least. So around 6ish I went into the food tent, and got a steak. (I don't eat seafood, so at least I didn't have to worry about the drawn butter portion...) I cut it in half (it was HUGE) and ate that, a roll, and a few mouthfuls of coleslaw. Acceptable? Sure. Guilt-inducing? You betcha.

Then comes Sunday...my cousin's bridal shower. I asked in advance what the food situation was going to be (IE was it a full lunch or brunch or snacks or what...), but it wasn't starting until noon, so I wasn't quite sure how to "budget calories". When I arrived, I was greeted by wafts of pastries, bacon, omelets, and everything else you can possibly imagine. I made the best choices I could (fruit, eggs...ok and 2 strips of bacon...) and enjoyed a Bloody Mary (hey, that counts as a vegetable right?). It was a nice shower, and I thought I was in the clear. Then...comes the cake. Vanilla cake layered with strawberries (favorite), butter cream frosting (favorite), vanilla ice cream (favorite). GOD, WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO TO ME????

I indulged in dessert, but left a wall of frosting on my plate. Okay, half a wall. But a wall. I also left half the ice cream in the bowl. And I vowed to myself that since I had all my fats, proteins, fruits, starches, and (liquid) veggies in one meal, I would have to really watch my intake the rest of the day. Surprisingly, I wasn't really that hungry the rest of the day! So this evening, I helped myself to some steamed vegetables, and actually felt okay with that! Go figure!

I realize this was a long one, but I also realize I haven't posted in quite some time...so I was due for some catching up! We'll see what happens at tomorrow's weigh-in. Like I said, I'm not expecting miracles. The countdown to 8 pounds may take a little longer than I'd like, but I'd really like to get there soon...Tomorrow's another day, right?

Till next time,
~L

No comments: