Saturday, June 2, 2007

35:14.1 - My new favorite number....

I can't believe it. I truly can't believe it. I can't tell you how many times I said that today, but it's true. I can't believe...that I RAN...the ENTIRE....5K of the Freihofer's Run for Women. My official time? You guessed it, 35:14.1. That's 35 minutes, 14.1 glorious seconds, that it took me to run 3.1 miles.

By 10am, it was about 83 degrees, 88% humidity, with no breeze in site...it was HOT. It was intimidating. It was downright scary. But at the same time, it was incredibly inspiring, as almost 3000 women - from career marathoners to amateurs like myself - joined together at the base of Madison Avenue for the 29th annual race. I knew I wasn't going to be running for time, I was merely doing it to FINISH. And as I waited for the shotgun, I told myself silently, "It's ok if you don't RUN the whole thing...you can walk some if you have to..." After all, I hate running. I loathe it. Or at least, I have in the past.

I'd like to recount the entire race for you, kilometer by kilometer, but honestly, I'm still pretty pooped, and frankly don't feel like staring at this computer screen much longer. I can tell you that there were several points through today's race that I wanted to stop running, and walk to the finish line. But I knew that if I slowed down and walked, I'd never start up again, and I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. So I did it. I pushed, and I pushed, and I ran every single foot of that 5K...

I realize that 3.1 miles doesn't seem like much to some people. But for me, this was like climbing Mount Everest. A year ago, I was almost 40 pounds heavier, a pack-a-day smoker, and completely sedentary. Today? I ran side by side with athletes. THIS...was pretty cool.

I may make another post this week with a bit more detail about the race...but for now, I'm off to continue my regimen of ibuprofen and water. Sure, I'm a bit sore...But it's a delightfully accomplished sore...

Thanks for all the support...this was something I'll never forget! Along with that wonderful number: 35:14.1!

Till next time,
~L

No comments: