Thursday, May 31, 2007

Ok, so Memorial Day hurt me a little....

Sorry, my update is 2 days late. But Tuesday's weigh-in brought the loss of almost another half-pound, so my total is now 31.2 pounds. As my gym partner recommended, we are no longer concentrating on the count UP to 40 pounds lost, but rather, the more anticipated count DOWN. 8.8 pounds, and counting. Diligently. Compulsively. Obsessively.

I say this because this week I've been "training" for the Freihofer's Run for Women, a traditional 5K race in Albany. I've never run a race in my life. I started with a quick jaunt (2.5 miles) that I told you about in the last post, and well, I don't really like running. But I committed to this race, on behalf of the radio station, so I'm not giving up. So Tuesday I did 3.1 miles (5k) on the treadmill, and despite my cursing like a sailor, I didn't die. Wednesday I did another 3.1 miles, and ALMOST died...not without a repeat of the previous day's language. Today I had to let my muscles rest a bit, so I did the elliptical machine and went home! Tomorrow, I will make my third and final date with the treadmill for another 3.1 miles, and then, it's all about hittin' the pavement on Saturday.

I have to say, I'm quite nervous about the entire ordeal. Having never run a race, and not being in the most "athletic" state, I know I'll be quite self conscious around the seasoned runners beside me. But I have a goal: to finish. I don't care if I'm the last one to cross the line, I just want to say I ran a 5K race, and finished. I'm going to push myself to actually RUN the whole time (as opposed to taking some walking breaks) but Saturday's forecast is hot and humid, two things that, in the past, have brought me close to tossing cookies after ONE mile. We'll see what happens. But I can honestly say that I'm quite amazed with the fact that I'm even ABLE to go that far on a treadmill. My first day at the gym, I could only handle 15 minutes on the elliptical. Five months ago I had pretty moderate to severe asthma, caused by years of smoking and a sedentary lifestyle. Now, I'm training for a race. My energy, my stamina, my everything...has changed. And for the better.

Wish me luck...and I hope you can come out and cheer me on! I'll be wearing bib #955 (how appropriate!), wearing a purple tank top and black running shorts.

And I'll probably be the only runner you can actually HEAR swearing up a storm. Hey...whatever it takes....

;)
Till next time,
~L

No comments: