Ever heard this one?
Ever been able to say "Why, yes! Yes I have!"
Well, until recently...neither had I. It was certainly nice to hear that something was different about me, but it was even more frustrating to say "No, I haven't lost any weight...In fact I've probably gained some...but, well, I guess maybe I don't wear this color that often..." or whatever came to mind at the time.
For the first time in a long - I mean, L O N G - time, coworkers and friends are starting to say "Wow...you're losing weight, aren't you..." And for the first time, I'm able to say "Yes, I've lost 20 pounds." Its so amazing, I almost feel like I'm lying sometimes. But then I look at the label on my new size of pants, or at my gym bag that always packed and ready in my car, or at my healthy snacks of fruit or veggies, and I know I'm not...I'm on my weigh...and on my way! (Had to play on some words here...this post is far to "serious" in tone at this point...)
Today at the gym, I stepped on the scale in the locker room. This is something I would have NEVER done before unless I was 100% sure that NO ONE else was in the locker room, and that there was NO CHANCE of anyone entering the locker room for the duration of the time it took me to gently tap that annoying little slider to the proper weight. In fact, the very sound of that antique doctor's office-style scale often reminded me of the "clink CLANK" noise of jail cell bars slamming shut...I assume the terror of knowing my weight was only slightly less severe than the thought of being locked in an 8x8 cell. (Drama, anyone?)
However, today, there was sufficiently less "clink" than there was "CLANK", as I had moved down an entire increment (you know how those types of scales require you to move the blocks in 50 pound sections). The humility of moving it UP from the previous skinny-mini that stepped on it was not unlike the sinking feeling you have when you realize you've had an 8 inch trail of toilet paper stuck to the back of your shoe. Today...Pay dirt. I "clanked" DOWN to one whole increment lower. TAKE THAT, MIMBO'S! (see previous posts for mimbo definition...)
So, yes, something IS different...it's my weight. It's my health. It's my size. It's my clothes. It's the damn increment on the scale from hell. It's a whole lotta things...and it's pretty gosh darn cool. Water weight gain (which I KNOW is coming) or not, I'm getting progressively smaller, and that's all I ever wanted when I made this investment...
Weekend's almost here, and after my first 20 pounds, that means 2 things: a celebratory glass of Pinot Grigio, and more importantly, some serious shopping. Look out Gabbiano...and MasterCard...
Till next time,
~L
PS I do plan on putting up a "half-way" photo soon....just have to get one scanned...stay tuned!
Thursday, April 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment